Widevine Content decryption module update error is the most common error which is faced by many users. It is a built-in plugin in Google Chrome. When you install Chrome for the first time it already comes packed with this module. It helps in playing DRM protected HTML-5 video and audio in Google Chrome. In case if it is missing or not updated then you will receive a message saying “The content is missing.” If you are encountering this error then don’t worry. In this article, I have provided some possible solutions
- 1 What is Widevine Content Decryption Module?
- 2 How to fix the Widevine Content Decryption Module Error?
- 3 FAQS:
What is Widevine Content Decryption Module?
Widevine Content Decryption Module is a Google Chrome extension for playing digitally protected content using HTML5. Google Chrome and some new versions of Mozilla Firefox install this extension by default. This plugin is one of the pre-installed extensions is Google Chrome.
Google Chrome and other web browsers use this plug-in to deliver DRM Protected HTML5 video/audio content. If you remove or disable this content from your browser then you will not be able to play videos from many popular sites such as Netflix and Amazon.
Also Check: How to fix “GWXUX Has Stopped Working” Error?
Why I am seeing Widevine Content Decryption Module Update Error?
Sometimes when you visit a site which uses HTML5 videos such as Netflix, then you might have seen an error saying “Widevine content decryption module component not updated.” This error commonly occurs due to the following reasons:
- You may have disabled this plugin and now the website requires it in order to play videos.
- The plugin failed to update itself.
- You may have removed the plugin.
- Login files have been corrupted by a malware or virus.
- The extension is crashed.
When you are facing this issue on certain websites then it will not affect other search engines you can still browse other websites. However, you are not allowed to play DRM protected audio/video content.
Although many people report “Widevine content decryption module update Chrome” error you can also encounter this error in other browsers too.
Widevine Content Decryption Module Firefox
Firefox resisted implementing this plug-in for long. Firefox 51 and below use Adobe CDM to play DRM protected videos.
Since, the official release of Firefox 47, Mozilla has also started supporting Google Widevine plugin. Just like Chrome, this plugin is also installed in Firefox. It runs in a sandbox and your browser will notify you when a website starts this plugin.
Widevine Content Decryption Module Opera
Opera browser doesn’t support HTML5 videos. Websites like Amazon Prime and other streaming DRM-protected videos require HTML5, they won’t play in Opera browser.
However, some DRM protected videos don’t require an HTML5 video player. You can easily play HTML5 video clips in Opera Browser using third-party plugins like Adobe Flash.
You can also switch to other web browsers to view DRM-protected video.
Are there any other extensions to Play DRM-Protected vides?
Google Widevine is becoming the most popular plugin to play DRM-protected videos. However, some browsers use third-party plugins to play digitally secured video content.
For instance, Microsoft Edge browser uses Microsoft Silverlight to play digitally protected videos. Similarly, Opera Browser uses Adobe Flash to play such kind of contents.
How to fix the Widevine Content Decryption Module Error?
It is easy to fix the Widevine error. Choose any of the methods given below depending upon the browser you are using.
Fix for Google Chrome Browser
In Google Chrome you can face three major problems with Widevine extension.
- The extension is not installed.
- You have an old version of Widevine and you cannot update it to a newer version.
We will have a look at each of these states individually and provide a fix. Depending on what error you face you can follow the methods below.
Method – 1: Fix for the error “The plugin is not installed”
When you browse a website that plays DRM-Protected HTML5 content, you may have seen an error about missing Widevine module. Follow the instructions given below to fix that error.
- Uninstall Google Chrome from your computer.
- Go to the official Google Chrome download page.
- Download and install the browser
- When the browser installs, it will automatically get installed in the Widevine content module for your ease.
Now you can visit Netflix or Amazon Prime and play your favorite video. You will have a smooth experience without any errors.
Method – 2: Fix for the error “Widevine is not updated”
When you have an old version Widevine add-on, you will see an error when trying to play DRM-protected content. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- Type “chrome://components” in Google Chrome then hit enter.
- Locate Widevine extension
- Click the Update button under the add-on
- Your browser will update the plugin within a few seconds.
Fix for Mozilla Firefox browser
For Firefox browser follow the steps below to fix this error
- Click on the menu button in the firefox browser.
- Choose add-ons from options.
- Select plug-ins when the add-ons manager pops up.
- Locate Widevine content decryption module provided by Google, Inc. in the list of installed add-ons.
- Select the option “Always Active” on the menu next to the Windows extension.
- Restart your browser.
- How to Fix PS4 won’t turn error
- How to Fix the wait operation timed out error?
- How to fix LocalAppHost.exe High CPU Usage Error
What is the Widevine content decryption module?
Widevine Content Decryption Module is a pre-installed plugin in Chrome browser which allows websites to play DRM-Protected HTML5 video and audio content.
Is Widevine available for other browsers?
Yes, Widevine Content Decryption Module is also available for browsers such as Mozilla Firefox. This extension is pre-installed in the latest updates of Firefox.
Does Netflix work with Poco f1?
There are a lot of reviews about Poco f1 saying that it is not able to stream HD video content from websites like Netflix and Amazon Prime. With the rollout of the MIUI 10 9.3.28 Global beta update, Xiaomi has confirmed that some progress has been done and that support for streaming Netflix HD content will arrive soon.
If you got any questions or complaints then do let me know in the comments section. I will try the best of mine to solve your issue regarding this topic.
How do I update Chrome WidevineCdm?
Open Chrome, and type “chrome://components“, then press Enter. Choose “Check for updates” under “WidevineCdm“.