It is important to log in to the settings dashboard of your Mikrotik router. There are several reasons why you need to get access to the control panel of your router. Some of the main reasons include the router setup and router configurations. So in order to perform router configurations properly, it is important to log in to your Mikrotik router.
In this article, you will learn how to login to the settings dashboard of your Mikrotik router along with some other Mikrotik router guides such as router setup, router configurations. So without wasting more time lets start the process.
How to Login to a Mikrotik Router?
The control panel for the Mikrotik router is the interface where all the important configurations and settings regarding your Mikrotik router are stored. So in order to make changes to your router’s network, it is important to log in to its control panel. To login to the control panel of your Mikrotik router, all you need is:
- A Mikrotik router
- Access to the WiFi network of your Mikrotik router, either through a wireless connection or a wired connection.
- A web browser
Now follow the steps below in order to start the login process:
- Step – 1: Connect your device to your Mikrotik router by using a wireless or a wired connection. It is recommended to use a wired connection because if you use it then there is no chance to get a network issue. You can establish one by using an Ethernet cable.
- Step – 2: Open your web browser and in the address bar enter the default IP address for your Mikrotik router there. The default network gateway for Mikrotik router is 192.168.88.1. After typing the IP address, press the enter key.
- Step – 3: Now, a login page will be displayed on your device screen. Enter the default login details for your Mikrotik router here. If you are unfamiliar with the default login details then use these:
Default Username: admin
Default Password: (left to be blank)
- Step – 4: Now, scroll down to the sign-in button and click on it.
After a few seconds, you will be redirected to the settings dashboard of your Mikrotik router. Here you can make changes to the WiFi network of your router easily.
How to set up a Mikrotik Router?
Setting up a Mikrotik router is not an easy task, you may face several problems during the setup process.
Usually in most cases, when you buy a new router then the company officially sends an agent to help you out with the setup process so that you can start using your Mikrotik router. But if that is not the case then there is no need to get worried about as, in this article, you will learn how to set up your Mikrotik router manually.
So, if you want to make the setup process easy and hassle-free then follow the steps mentioned below:
- Step – 1: Connect your Mikrotik router with your modem by using an Ethernet cable.
- Step – 2: Now, connect your device with your Mikrotik router, again by using an Ethernet cable.
- Step – 3: Open your web browser and log in to your Mikrotik router by using the guide I have mentioned above.
- Step – 4: After getting access to the settings dashboard of your Mikrotik router, click on the PPP tab located on the left menu.
- Step – 5: In the PPP you will get the interface tab.
- Step – 6: Click on the + sign and select the PPTP client option.
- Step – 7: Here you can easily configure your Mikrotik router just by following the on-screen instructions.
- Step – 8: Click on the Save button to save the settings.
Change the default password for Mikrotik Router?
Sometimes, it is important to change the default password for your router in order to make it more secure against the attack of invaders. If you change the password for your Mikrotik router then no one except you will be able to access your router’s network. If you do not change them, then anyone can get easy access to the control panel of your Mikrotik router thus they can make several changes which may cause trouble for you.
Follow the steps mentioned below to change the default password for your Mikrotik router.
- Step – 1: First of all, login to the settings dashboard of your Mikrotik router.
- Step – 2: Click on the menu button, and then select the system option.
- Step – 3: In the System menu click on the password option.
- Step – 4: Now, a dialog box will appear on your screen. Here you can change the password for your Mikrotik router easily. Enter the old password in the required fields. Then enter the new one.
- Step – 5: Confirm the new password and after that click on the Ok button.
This is how you can change the default password for your Mikrotik router. After saving the new password make sure to test it on your other devices. If in case you are facing errors then contact the customer support immediately.
Mikrotik Router Port Forwarding
Below is how you can forward ports on the Mikrotik router;
- First and foremost, assign a new static IP to your device.
- Access the Mikrotik router web interface using its default gateway 192.168.88.1
- For signing in, type the default username of Mikrotik router (admin) and left the password field blank. Press Enter.
- Now int the web interface, locate and click on the IP link.
- Click on the Firewall link.
- Click on the NAT link.
- Add a new rule by tapping on the + icon.
- Change the Chain option to dstnat.
- Select the protocol like TCP.
- Type the port number in the Dst. Port box.
- Set the In. Interface box to your WAN network.
- Now click on the Action tab.
- Type dst-nat in the Action box.
- Enter your device address in the To Addresses box.
- Type the same port number in the To Ports box as you have typed in the Dst. Port box.
- Click on Ok and Apply to save settings.
- RCN Router [Login, Setup, Reset, Defaults]
- SMC Router [Login, Setup, Reset, Defaults]
- Cable One Router [Login, Setup, Reset, Defaults]
- Surfboard Router [Login, Setup, Reset, Defaults]
How to Reset a Mikrotik Router?
If you have accidentally misplaced the default login credentials for your Mikrotik router or if you are facing issues with the WiFi network of your Mikrotik router, then the only option left for you is to reset your Mikrotik router to the factory settings.
This measure will fix all the network issues and will take back your router to the start where you can easily configure your login details as well.
Follow the steps mentioned below in order to perform a hard reset on your Mikrotik router.
- Step – 1: First of all, turn off your power device.
- Step – 2: Now, locate the reset button on your Mikrotik router. Most of the Mikrotik routers contain a reset button on the rear side labeled as “RES“. You can check for that button on your router as well.
- Step – 3: After that, press and hold the reset button for 15 seconds and do not release it.
- Step – 4: Turn on your Mikrotik router device, and wait until the USER LED lights start blinking.
- Step – 5: Now leave the reset button in order to complete the process.
After a few minutes, your Mikrotik router will be reset to the factory settings and it will reboot automatically.
Q1. How can I configure a Mikrotik router as a DHCP server?
To configure a Mikrotik router as a DHCP server, follow these steps:
- Login to the router’s web interface using the default IP address (192.168.88.1).
- Go to the DHCP Server menu and click on the DHCP Setup button.
- Enter the DHCP pool range, default gateway, DNS servers, lease time, and other settings as required.
- Click on Apply and OK to save the settings.
Q2. How can I secure my Mikrotik router from external attacks?
You can secure your Mikrotik router by enabling the firewall, disabling unused services, changing default passwords, using secure protocols such as SSH, and keeping your router software up-to-date with the latest security patches.
Q3. What is bandwidth management in Mikrotik router and how can I use it?
Bandwidth management is a feature in Mikrotik router that allows you to prioritize or limit traffic based on different criteria such as IP address, protocol, port, and queue. You can use it to ensure quality of service for important applications or users, or to prevent network congestion.
Q4. How can I monitor my Mikrotik router’s performance and usage?
You can monitor your Mikrotik router’s performance and usage by using built-in tools such as Traffic Monitor, Graphing, and Netwatch, or by installing third-party monitoring tools such as PRTG or Zabbix.
Q5. Can I use Mikrotik router as a VPN server and how?
Yes, you can use Mikrotik router as a VPN server by configuring the PPTP, L2TP/IPsec, OpenVPN, or SSTP protocols. You’ll need to set up users, certificates, and firewall rules to allow VPN traffic.