There are several reasons why you need to access your Cisco router. You may need to customize and secure your network. Cisco routers are simple to use and configure. Cisco manufactures a broad range of hardware products that include wireless routers as well.
How to login to a Cisco router?
Logging in to a Cisco web interface is much easy and straightforward. All you need is:
- A cisco router
- Access to your Network – Through Wireless connection or LAN cable.
- A web browser.
In order to get access to your Cisco router, follow the steps below:
- Step – 1: Connect your device to your router’s network. You can use an ethernet cable or a wireless WiFi connection to connect to your Cisco router.
- Step – 2: Start your device and open your web browser. Left-click on the address bar and type the default IP address of your router there. The default IP address for the Cisco router is 192.168.15.1.
- Step – 3: After entering the default gateway for your Cisco router, you will be prompted to a login page.
- Step – 4: Now, you need to enter your default username and password for the Cisco router. If you don’t know about your default login credentials then you can use the following:
If this login information didn’t work for you then you can search for your router’s username and password on your router’s modem.
How to change the default WiFi password for your Cisco Router?
Changing the default WiFi password for your Cisco router is a simple and effective step to make your router more secure. This task is simple and you can do it easily by following the steps below:
Before we step forward, make sure to connect your device to your router via an Ethernet cable. Wireless connection is not preferred for this purpose.
- Step – 1: Log in to your Cisco router by following the steps mentioned above.
- Step – 2: After you have successfully logged in to your Cisco router, go to the quick setup menu. From this screen, you can make changes in your Wireless router.
Newer editions of Cisco routers have a Quick Setup menu. If you don’t have Quick Setup then you can search for Wireless or Wireless Security.
- Step – 3: Search for the password field It may be displayed as a network key. Enter the new password and make sure to save the custom modifications that you have made to your router.
When all the information is saved. Disconnect your router and test the new password.
How to reset a Cisco router?
Resetting your router or modem is a standard troubleshooting method for network issues. It is also a simple method to start over with new settings on your network.
Depending on the type of reset you perform, you can fix the settings that were misconfigured before. There are two types of resets that are applicable to many routers. These are:
- Soft Reset
- Hard Reset
Cisco routers recommend trying a soft reset first in order to check if the problems with your wireless router are resolved or not.
In order to perform a soft reset, follow the steps below:
- Step – 1: Unplug the power adapter from your router’s wireless network settings.
- Step – 2: Unplug it for a couple of minutes (usually five to ten minutes).
- Step – 3: Plug it in again and wait for ten minutes for the router to complete a soft reset and then try using the internet on your device.
Follow the steps below to perform a 30 30 30 hard reset:
- Step – 1: Remember to prepare your Cisco router first. First of all, turn off your Cisco router and plug in the power cord into the router and the power source.
- Step – 2: Locate the reset button on the rear side of your router or modem. This button is tiny and you may require a pen or pin to use it.
- Step – 3: To begin the factory reset, use a paper clip or pen to press the reset button. Keep holding the reset button for over 15 seconds until the modem light begins to flash.
- Step – 4: Wait for almost 3 – 5 minutes until the factory reset is completed. The LED light will shine green when it is finished.
Note: Factory Resetting your router will delete all the custom configurations – including your WiFi network name and password. Follow the step by step guide below in order to reset your Cisco router.
Also Check: Best Cisco Business Routers
Tips for Cisco Router
- While logging in to your Cisco router, if you are unfamiliar with your Cisco router’s default password then you can use the ethernet cable. Just connect it with your router it will not require a password.
- Before resetting your router, write down the previously made configurations to prevent confusion.
Cisco Router Port Forwarding
If you own a Cisco router and want to forward ports on it, here is the guide;
- Firstly, assign a static IP to your device.
- Type 192.168.1.254 in the browser and press Enter.
- Login using default credentials, such as a username (admin) and password (admin) and press Enter.
- Click on the Advanced option.
- Click on the Virtual Servers option.
- Check the Enable Virtual Servers box.
- Enter your device’s IP address in the Local IP Address box.
- Select the protocol type from the Protocol dropdown list.
- For single port forwarding, type the same port number in both left and right Port Range boxes.
- Give a name in the Description box.
- Click on the Save option.
Other Routers Login:
- CenturyLink Router [Login, Setup, IP]
- Motorola Router [Login, Setup, IP, Password]
- Belkin Router [Login, Setup, IP]
- Arris Router [Login, IP, Pssword, Reset, Setup]
Q1. What is the default password for the Cisco router?
The default login details for Cisco routers are as follows:
Q2. How do I find the default username and password for my router?
The default username and password for a router are usually written on a sticker that is placed somewhere on your router. You can find them there or simply type your router s model number and you will get a list of default login credentials by surfing around the internet.
Q3. How do I recover my router username and password?
To recover your router’s username and password you need to perform a hard reset on your router. Unfortunately, this is the only option left for you.
Q4. What is meant by a username?
A username is generally referred to as an account name, account ID, login ID, nickname or a user ID. A username or user name is the name given to a user on a computer or a computer network.
Q5. How do I reset my 192.168.1.1 password?
Open your web browser and type the IP address of your ADSL router and then press enter. A login interface will be opened. Here, you need to enter your login details. After that, you will be prompted to your settings page. Select the Tools tab from the top. Click on the restore button to restore the factory reset on the unit.