There are a lot of things people save up to upgrade – their smartphones, their cars and even their closets. But if there is an underrated commodity whose upgrade has major benefits, it is a router.
There is a tendency in society to overlook things that are not deemed important, popularly. No one ever updates their router unless there is a big malfunction and the whole network stops working altogether.
To be completely honest, upgrading to a more recent router model is a pretty cheap and effective way to improve your network. You need not worry too much about the cost-benefit analysis that goes with such investments.
Since the process is much more cost-effective than you are led to believe- there are hundreds of mid-range routers that make good use of the current generation technology.
An upgrade will give you the comfort of having a wider WIFI range in addition to a significantly stronger signal making life significantly easier.
- 1 Best Wireless Router Buying Guide
- 1.1 Lifespan Of The Router:
- 1.2 Price Of The Router:
- 1.3 Range Of The Router:
- 1.4 Other Important Considerations
- 1.5 Best Wireless Routers Under $100
- 1.6 Best Wireless Routers Under $50
- 1.7 Best Wireless Routers Under
- 1.8 Best Budget Wireless Routers
- 1.9 Best Long-Range Routers
- 1.10 Best Home Routers
- 1.11 Best Home Routers Under $100
- 1.12 Best Home Router Under $150
- 1.13 Best Home Routers Under $50
- 1.14 Best Gaming Routers
- 1.15 Best Gaming Router For PS4 & PS4 Pro
- 1.16 Best Gaming Router For Xbox & Xbox One
- 1.17 Best Gaming Routers Under $100
Best Wireless Router Buying Guide
|ETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500||
||Check On Amazon|
|NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000||
||Check On Amazon|
When you are buying a new home network or upgrading an existing one, the way you do it can make all the difference. Here are some things you should keep in mind before buying a new router:
Lifespan Of The Router:
Networking hardware is not liable to last forever- the standards change pretty often, and the hardware is put under a lot of pressure since multiple people use it daily. If you live in a household that employs a large number of devices, your router will likely begin to work much slower than it used to when you originally bought it.
Price Of The Router:
A router can go from a mere $15 to an easy $1000- all depending on the features it employs. While a router in the mid-range can be much more affordable for a larger or middle-sized household- you could be compromising on the speed. For the most part, an average daily user should not go above $150, unless you’re specifically looking for a faster router.
Range Of The Router:
If you and your family reside in a large house with many rooms and more than one floor, you are more likely to need a router with long-range and strong data. On the contrary, if you live in a small apartment, the distance won’t play such a big role, but you should still go for a midrange throughput for a comfortable network system.
Other Important Considerations
Frequency of House Guests:
Best Wireless Routers Under $100
1. The TP-Link AC 1900 Smart Wireless Router
The TP-Link AC 1900 Smart Wireless Router is an affordable, dual-band router. It is designed with medium to large households in mind and offers many facilities which include two USB ports, 4 Gigabit LAN ports as well as being quite easy to install.
The router comes in a very elegant white, slate color scheme which is perfect if you want to keep the eyes away from the router and the color scheme of your home intact. But you are likely to face problems regarding the build of the router since you cannot lay the router flat on your desk or mount it on the wall as most of the ports are towards the rear end.
The basic setup of the router is relatively easy, and the icon, as well as network layout, are properly set. According to how much you’re paying and the performance you’re getting the router is genuinely one of the best ones on the market. And because you are a home user- the speed won’t be that much of a concern which makes the router perfect for a layman’s computer.
- The router comes at a reasonable price.
- It is easy to set up.
- The router has an elegant design.
- The design of the router limits wall mounting.
- It is not the fastest router out there.
2. D-Link’s AC 1750 Router for Wireless Internet
The D-Link AC 1750 Wi-Fi Router is one of the best ones in the market. Some of its many features include consistent speed on dual bands, the latest 802.11 ac features in addition to a usable app, parental controls along with a VPN service as well.
The design of the routers is more on the basic side- with four antennas, a black overlay and a few curves. But the basic build of the router is not as sturdy as one would like it to be. This doesn’t affect the performance, but it may play a role in the long term durability of the router.
The setup process for the router is fairly easy- you can connect it to a modem via WIFI or an Ethernet cable and then access it through the D Link app or the web interface- Http://dlinkrouter.local.
The app is easy to use and manageable when you want to change basic settings like passwords, turning on the guest WIFI. Still, it also has the facility of advanced options for parenting controls and updating your firmware from your mobile.
- The router is easy on the pockets
- It comes with a stress-free setup process
- And there is easy access through the mobile app
- The router has quite a basic design
- The web interface has minor annoying characteristics like a waiting time of 25 seconds, etc.
3. ASUS AC 1300 Dual Band WIFI Router
The ASUS AC 1300 comes with the latest WIFI technology since it sports the MU-MIMO dual bands which allow the router to switch from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz on the connected devices to as well as enable many devices to be connected at the same time.
The router comes with 4.5 dbi antennas as well as a USB 3.0 port — all for the low, low price of $75.
While the build of the router prevents it from being mounted on walls and other surfaces, it best works when laid flat on a surface. The firmware setup is pretty easy and quick, and in addition to that, the user interface is reasonably neatly organised and easy to navigate. The ASUS also provides great, multilingual support in18 different languages.
You can set up to six wireless networks that provide the internet with the added facility of access to your network. It has parental controls- you can use it to set a schedule for the devices used by your children, and the USB application makes the router so that you can connect it to a lot of devices like external hard drives, hard disks, printers.
- The router is easy to afford
- It comes with an easy initial setup
- It has great WIFI range for a medium side household
- The LED lights can be quite irritating.
- The router faces brief performance drops if it’s been on for a while.
Best Wireless Routers Under $50
1. TP-LINK N 450
The TP-Link N 450 Wireless Router has up to 450 Mbps of wireless speed along with four ethernet ports, ideal for multiple HD video streaming. Apart from this router comes with three external antennas that ensure a fully extended wireless coverage to make connectivity easy and hassle-free. The device also has wireless security encryption that is easily accessible at the press of a WPS button while staying well under the $50 market.
This might not be one of the most expensive routers on the market but will get the job done. Coming with an unlimited 24/7 technical support, the router is compatible with a Microsoft Windows System, Vista, Mac OS, Linux as well as a few others- making it quite versatile.
- Extremely affordable
- It has a thorough put performance while testing
- Quite easy and hassle-free to install
- There is a lack of USB ports which can be quite annoying
- The antennas are non-removable which might clash
2. The TP Link AC 1200
The TP Link AC 1200 comes with a speed of 1200 MBPS in addition to extremely reliable ethernet ports ideal for homes that have a 100 MBPS internet plan. In addition to that, the router gives you the option to stream all your content easily since it comes with a 4K streaming option on multiple devices and reduces buffering.
The router supports Amazon Alexa in addition to working with all Wi-Fi devices- AC or older. To connect to the router, there is a TP Link Tether app which is quite easy to set up and gives you the ability to manage your entire home network on it. In terms of the warranty, the company provides a two-year warranty as well as 24/7 technical at the feasible price of under $50.
- It is very affordable
- The package includes a very helpful smartphone app
- It can be mounted on walls
- One of the fastest routers in the price range.
- The smartphone app is only feasible when connected to the WiFi
- The router can get a little tedious to clean
3. The Western Digital My Net N 600
This router sells well below the $50-mark range which is a steal deal since it comes with it has four, extremely fast ethernet ports which allow the user to expand their network to include other connected devices. It also comes with 1 USB 2.0 port and is a dual-band router. Apart from that, it has extended coverage which includes an amplifying technology through which the router ensures that the interference is reduced as well as, that the wireless coverage is expanded to a larger amount of rooms.
The router is easily connectable- uncomplicated to discover and autoconfigure other devices to provide the user with a stimulating experience of entertainment. Other features include the fact that you can limit the type of websites your children have access to and set time limits to ensure that schedules are being followed. In addition to that, it has the function of very reliable internet security to prevent malware and spyware attacks.
- The router provides extremely fast streaming
- It also has Fastrack Technology that ensures you have high-speed HD video streaming
- The set-up is quite simple
- The router might be a small annoyance to continuously dust.
Best Wireless Routers Under
1. ASUS AC 3200 Tri-Band Gigabit WIFI Router
The ASUS AC 3200 Tri-Band, Gigabit WIFI Router is designed for a multiple user home. The router has built-in USB 3.0 ports for up to 10 times faster data transfers to USB storage devices, printer sharing and a 3G/4G dongle support.
It has many multimedia and management features, all of which are accessible via a user-friendly Web Interface and shows you the number of clients using the network, the number of USB devices connected to it as well as the security settings and status of each band. You can set up restrictive access for your guests in addition to prioritising bandwidth for gaming and streaming.
The installation is fairly easy. You should buy this router if streaming and online gaming is something you do regularly. It has fast throughput on all three bands and brings a good 5Ghz performance. Admittedly, the device is not cheap, but the tri-band routers all run at a similar price and are worth every penny for an extremely smooth network.
- The router has good 5Hgz throughput
- It comes with many advanced features
- It even has Low profile LED indicators that don’t make it an eyesore
- It can be pretty heavy on the pocket
- Middling file-transfer performance
2. ASUS AC 2900 WIFI Router
One of the best routers in the markets, the ASUS AC 2900 WIFI Router is good for everything ranging from gaming to security. It is quite rare to get a router that pays attention to gaming and security, which is what you get out of this.
The router has top throughput speed on the 5Ghz bandwidth and an easy to use, versatile app user interface. The menu of the Asus router is very customizable as well.
The router has a sleek black look with two red streaks in the front. It stands upright with the addition of three detachable antennas, a few lights and you cannot lay it flat. It comes with a USB 2.0 port, USB 3.1 Gen 1 port as well as a LED on and off button. In addition to all of these features, the router is easy to keep out of sight but can be quite a statement piece if you feel like your router deserves an audience.
The setup process is quite easy, and if you sign up for the ASUS account through their official website, you are liable to get 5 GB of cloud storage free. It’s MU MIMO tech allows you to connect to multiple devices and provide top speed data.
You will get the maximum benefit for your bucks if you opt for this one, its user-friendly for new amateur users in addition to being customizable for network engineers- an all-around good deal.
- The router is adept for gaming and security
- The network is easily customizable according to your preferences
- But it also has an easy user interface for laymen users
- It does have a little bit out there, gaudy design
- The router cannot be mounted or laid flat
3. NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S R7800 Wireless Router
The NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S R7800 wireless router is a super-fast, high-end device available in two versions- one of the quickest existing in the market. It is one the higher side of the pricing spectrum for routers.
The building is black with many angles making it quite the showpiece- it has bright LED lights that blink during operation but can be switched off for the most part. With four antennas, it does look a little bit imposing and can be quite the statement piece.
The router additionally, comes with two USB 3.0 ports, an eSATA ports as well as four Ethernet ports in addition to MU MIMO technology which makes the router work reasonably well when it is connected to a bunch of devices rather than just a few.
The setup is relatively easy- you can install a desktop management program as well as an iPhone or Android app. The key appeal to the router is that it includes a DSL modem, but if you choose to go for another one, then it is easily connected at the fifth Ethernet port.
All in all, it is a superb router but can be quite expensive. Apart from that, the speeds are much too fast for the average user, but if you’re in the market for state of the art, high-speed router, then this is one of your best bets.
- The router has built-in high speed at the 5GHz bandwidth
- You have the facility of plugging it into multiple HDDs
- The device can be moderately expensive
- It does have long-range reliability issues
Best Budget Wireless Routers
1. The Linksys N 300 Wi-Fi Wireless Router
This wireless router is ideal for users who will mainly use it for surfing the web, emailing as well as printing. It runs at a 300 Mbps transfer speed to which you can connect all your electronic devices. In addition to that, you have the capacity to enjoy a broad wireless coverage provided by their antenna technology and four fast ethernet ports that will help you connect your wired devices, as well.
The router comes with a customizable security setting that includes WPA/WPA2 Personal and SPI firewall protection. It has a three-step setup, with the Cisco Connect software that is included. In addition to all of this, the router enables you to have password-protected internet access on a separate network so that your visitors have access to your internet. Still, they don’t encroach on your computer. One of the main features of the router is the Cisco Connect’s parental control that ensures your ability to block or restrict certain specific websites for your children to certain hours.
- The build and quality of the router are very good.
- The range of the router is exemplary
- You do not need to keep disconnecting and restarting it
- It also works well with small businesses
- The adapter might stop working early into use
- The router might stop working after a set period of 15 months
- Can be a hassle to replace
2. D Link Wireless N 3000 Mbps
The D-Link Wireless Broadband Router consists of N 300 technology which ensures a better than average performance and reliable coverage for everyday web activities. The router has a simple set up, and you can get it running with the QRS mobile app, which is quite easily accessible. Apart from that, it has a remote networking monitoring app with features like user control viewing, browsing history, as well as the facility to remotely connect and disconnect computer devices from the network.
The router works well with any certified Wi-Fi device, giving you very profitable performances. In terms of hardware, the router has four ethernet post that gives you fast device connectivity as well as a complete set of security features that include an SBI firewall and WPA2 security to protect your network against any kind of threat.
- The router is small and does not take up too much space
- It is easy to the plugin as well as set up
- The router is extremely affordable
- The router has a smaller range than it boasts about
- It runs on a single band
- There are better options in the market for the same price.
The TP Link TL WR841ND is a wireless router with a lot of features that include a 300 Mbps speed- ideal for video game streaming as well as online gaming. It comes with detachable external antennas that make sure that the router is within easy alignment and upgrading. Apart from that, it has a sleek exterior which enables wall mounting or horizontal placement whichever goes better with the outlay of your home.
In terms of security, it has a WPA encrypted connection that can be enabled with the WPS button and comes with parental control that help restrict internet access for children during specific hours. A Wi-Fi on and off button helps to control radio easily the TP Link is live 24/7 for technical support, in case you face any kind of difficulties.
- The router is quite cheap
- It ensures a very good signal and range
- It comes with an easily accessible app
- The router might stop working after two years
- Sometimes the network might disconnect
Best Long-Range Routers
1. Linksys Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router
This router provides up to 1500 square feet of Wi-Fi coverage and can connect to 15 + wireless devices. The router is perfect if you have a big household and is compatible with the existing modem- you can set it up quickly and hassle-free with the Linksys. One of the main advantages of the router is being able to enjoy 4 K HD streaming and gaming in high quality without buffering.
This technology delivers the fastest Wi-Fi speed on your device since it had a tri bandwidth along with MU MIMO technology which enables you to connect multiple devices at once.
- The router is very affordable
- It has a seamless signal
- The app is easy to control and download
- It has very good range and capacity
- It does not block devices like the iPad or iPhone
- It takes a while for the system to run, but it does work seamlessly once its done.
2. The NetGear Nighthawk AX4
The NetGear Nighthawk is a router that is a little bit more on the more expensive site. But it comes with an array of facilities that make the price worth it. For example, the Wi-Fi router works with all existing Wi-Fi devices as well as new Wi-Fi devices like the iPhone 11. It provides for simultaneous streams which means that every device in the vicinity can access speedy Wi-Fi at the same time.
Apart from this, it has four wired ethernet ports into which you can plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players in addition to other devices. The router is a mix of advanced technology design with a dual-core processor and includes amplified antennas as well as Amazon Alexa voice control. It also comes with USB connection ports that enable the user to share a storage type with any connected device.
In addition to all these features, the router also enables the users into creating personal cloud storage that they can access from anywhere using the USB ports. It also has smart parental controls that give you the ability to limit internet access and filter websites according to your wishes. It comes with WPA2 wireless security protocols and includes guest Wi-Fi access, Firewall, VPN and done.
- It is quite affordable
- It supports the newest wireless standards
- The accounts are all protected with a two-step verification
- You can set the router to update automatically which saves you the hassle from having to do it manually
- It can be mounted on walls
- It also has very good multilingual support
- The USB speed is a little lower than expected
- The apps and services might be a little complicated for first-time users and should be simplified.
3. Netgear Orbi Triband WiFi Router
The NetGear Orbi Tri-Band Router is the best purchase to ensure that your home has no more dead zones- the Wi-Fi reach covers the whole house and works for 25 + devices. Its technology helps the user to stay connected to the router as they roam around the house using a single network.
It has a tribe and backhaul which means that it is a dedicated band between your Orbi router and satellite frees the other two bands for maximum. In addition to that, the router works with almost all of the internet providers, which enables you to replace the existing router and extender.
The compatibility also includes cable, satellite, fibre, DSL and more. The router has a 1 gigabyte Ethernet port as well as AC 3000 WiFi speed that powers up to 3Gpbs of HD video streaming, internet surfing, downloads or gaming.
The router also comes with the capacity of parental controls which ensure that you can pause device internet access, view side history as well as filter websites- for free. You can also set an online time limit and schedule devices for internet access and more- for a small fee per month.
In terms of security, the router supports NetGear armour- powered by BitDefender. This armour is a network-wide anti-virus anti-malware security, free for a trial basis of 30 days and then available on the payment of a small fee, monthly.
It is safe and secure with an advanced technology design- MU MIMO, smart connect for one Wi-Fi name and also supports WPA2 wireless security protocols that include guest Wi-Fi access, Firewall and VPN.
In addition to all of these, it is very easy to set up, especially using the Orbi app through which you can also manage the Wi-Fi settings, Test and monitor speech.
- It is quite easy to install
- The router has very fast throughput
- It has MU MIMO capacity
- It is highly configurable to your needs
- The router is a little bit more expensive
- The USB functions are limited
- There is very little support for guest networking
Best Home Routers
1. ASUS DUAL BAND 3×3 AC1750
THE ASUS DUAL BAND AC 1750 is a dual-band router that gives the user a reliably fast sped of 1.75Gbps. It comes with an included ASUS AI cloud service that enables the user to access, stream and sync content on the go- with the additional feature of unlimited storage expansion. The device has an enhanced cooling system as well as a 256 GB RAM.
In terms of hardware, the router sports four LAN ports as well as one WAN port- all of which are gigabit ethernet. The router also comes with two USB ports, a power button as well as the WPS button.
You can use the router as a router, access point or a media bridge. Apart from the features mentioned above, the router comes with an array of LED lights to indicate it’s status. It supports two main WiFi networks- one for each band and six guest networks. Apart from these, the device sports features like parental control and a traffic manager.
This is one of the best routers for both- a home or business network. This is because you can control the network from anywhere with the provided Cloud Service. Apart from that, you have a variety of additional features like- guest networks, parental controls as well as the choice to set it up as a VPN server, if you please. One of the significant benefits of the router is that it comes with a one-year warranty and 24×7 technical support.
- Excellent performance on the 5 GHz band.
- High-speed WIFI.
- Cloud-based storage features.
- Relatively more expensive than some top-notch routers.
- Can run quite hot.
2. NET GEAR NIGHTHAWK SMART WIFI ROUTER
The NetGear R7000 is said to be one of the best routers created for home users, ever. It is supported by a dual-core processor that runs at 1GHz, making it the fastest 802.11ac router the company has released. It is a dual-band router with an impressive array of hardware that includes a dual-core CPU, a USB 3.0 port and 128GB of flash memory as storage space.
A few of its most popular features include the presence of two guest networks, customizable settings like parental controls. The router also comes with a new QoS (quality of service) feature that gives the user the ability to manage both- upstream as well as downstream. The QoS enables for prioritizing the Internet- an essential feature of a home router.
In terms of hardware, the router has two USB ports, one USB 2.0 ports as well as a USB 3.0 port. All of these can be used to host any kind of external hard drive or device. One of the problematic things about the router, though, is that it is one of the bulkiest routers you might have ever seen. Therefore, you need a lot of place to host it. It comes with a very reliable backup software called ReadyShare Vault for the Windows OS computers.
The router comes with an app you can use, to access its features. Apart from that, the app can also be used to stream content to a mobile device but only to a limited capacity.
- Has better than average performance on the 5GHz band
- A new and improved set of useful features
- Very easy on the pocket
- The outerwear is very bulky
- There is no parental control feature
- The NetGear Genie mobile app does not work over the Internet.
3. THE APPLE AIRPORT TIME CAPSULE
This new model of the Time Capsule comes with what Apple calls, ‘the new top-down approach.’ With a rectangular shape, it stands at 6.6 inches which helps the device reduce its footprint by 75%. It sports tiny LED lights as an indicator that the router is working well- it tends to turn amber or flashes aggressively if something is wrong.
In terms of hardware, the router sports three LAN ports and one WAN port which are compatible with Gigabit as well as a USB 2.0 port which can be used to host a printer or an external storage device. The router requires AirPort Utility which is available as a mobile app or a desktop application. The device is relatively easy to set up.
Since it is a dual-band router, it supports all existing WiFi clients and comes with internal storage that is used to store the Time Machine backup files. Now the router does lack a few customization options that are popularly seen in other routers of the same price.
For example, the guest networking feature is only available on the 2.4Ghz band and not on the 5 GHz one. There are no web filtering features, and you don’t have the facility to block certain websites or keywords. You can also not customize the QoS services, which means that the router does not prioritize internet traffic.
- There is a speed boost in the WiFi
- The look of the router is beautiful
- The performance of the routers is quite fast
- It supports 802.11ac WiFi
- There are no advanced features
- A lack of parental controls and QoS can be found
Best Home Routers Under $100
1.THE NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK SMART WIFI ROUTER
This router sports a dual-band network with 802.11ac WiFi speed that is faster than most routers on the market. It sports Beamforming technology that ensures an improved wireless range and enhanced signal focus- this means that enables a high-speed connection to mobile devices.
In terms of the design and hardware, this router is similar to the original Nighthawk model- it is sturdy with a wide base planted with rubber feet. It is a wall-mounted router which saves you a lot of desk space.
Apart from all this, it comes with a single USB 3.0 port with longer antennas that boost the signal range and minimize dead spots in a large household. These antennas are removable & adjustable but non-replaceable. Thus, if you break or lose them, the overall expenditure on the maintenance of the router tends to skyrocket.
The router also sports blinking LED lights that can, thankfully, be switched off.
Apart from these, the device comes with a Netgear’s Genie App that gives the user an easy way to access and manage the router and its features. Some of the functions include letting you stream music and setting up parental controls. The app, unfortunately, does not extend to the guest networks.
Overall, this router has a very high throughput and top-notch wireless speeds- acting as a significant improvement when compared to its ancestors. The router comes with the advantage of being quite affordable with an excellent quality performance range.
- The router has a strong NAS performance
- It has a good range
- The design is not bulky and can be mounted on the wall
- It supports 802.11ac speeds
- The software of the device could use some improvements
- Unlike its earlier model, the router only has a single USB 3.0 port instead of twin ones.
2.TP-LINK ARCHER C7 AC1750 WIRELESS ROUTER
This is one of the latest routers released by the company in recent years. It is very budget-friendly and gives you dual-band connectivity without putting a hole in your pocket. The router comes with four gigabit LAN ports, three non-removable antennas and a USB 2.0 port. It has an array of LED lights in the front of the router that indicate power, Internet, LAN ports and WPS.
The router can reach a maximum speed of 450 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band and a speed of 1300 Mbps on the 5Ghz band with 802.11ac technology. The router, unfortunately, does not support MU MIMO technology or direct to client beamforming. Now one of the features of the router that makes it so accessible, is that it comes with a mobile app. A user-friendly interface, along with network maps and easy to access menus, make it very simple to set up the router.
The router supports a variety of advanced functions like guest networks as well as parental controls- in a limited capacity. Some of the settings also include a more comprehensive wireless security system, VLAN settings as well as QoS settings.
- The router is quite reasonably priced
- It is easy to install with the app
- The performance is an impeccable, especially close range
- It supports for LAN ports
- The router does not support MU MIMO technology
- There is only one USB 2.0 port
3.The NETGEAR R6230 WIFI ROUTER
One of the most basic and easy to use WiFi routers in the market, the NETGEAR AC 1200 router comes with an ethernet socket to help connect devices that don’t support WiFi connectivity, is a dual-band router and is an excellent value investment.
The router comes with external antennas to improve WIFI coverage in the whole household as well as one USB 2.0 port that enables the user to access the sharing of USB hard drives.
The device has features like reliable video streaming that allows you to play games, connect smart devices and surf the Internet without zero to minimize interference. It comes with the added advantage of parental controls that help you manage the device’s internet access as well as filter websites. In terms of hardware, it has ethernet ports into which you can plug in gaming consoles, computers or streaming players.
The router comes with a one-year warranty along with a toll-free 24×7 phone technical support. The phone service is efficient as well as dedicated to solving any problems you might be facing with the device.
Aesthetically, the design of the router is minimal and not too overbearing on the interior of the house. The connectivity features are quite reliable and efficient while the price is adequately decided according to its features.
- The router is easy to set up
- The price of the router is quite reasonable
- The router does not need regular reboots
- It supports a non-intrusive design
- The app has minimal features
- Some problems regarding the router can only be configured using the website
Best Home Router Under $150
1.THE LINKSYS EA7500 DUAL BAND WIFI ROUTER
This router is one of the only two routers released by the company that supports MU MIMO technology. This means that the router can connect up to 12 devices at the same time simultaneously.
The router is built using simple matt black plastic with a slightly curved shape- inconspicuous and not a threat to the interior set up of your house. But the router is quite more massive than the average router. It supports three external antennas which are removable or directed whichever way the user pleases. The router also can be mounted on the wall but can be left sitting on a shelf or desk as well.
Now there are no LED lights or output sockets in the front of the socket. There is also a lack of an easily reachable WPS button. In terms of hardware, the router has four-gigabit ethernet LAN ports alongside two USB ports which are 2.0 and 3.0 respectively.
The router is quite easy to set up since it comes with access to an online portal. The service allows you to access the router from anywhere you please, and you can log into the website using your email address and password instead of having to remember the device’s specific username/password combination. You also have the added advantage of setting up a guest network from your phone.
- The router supports a breakneck WiFi speed
- It has a minimal design and can be mounted on the wall
- The performance is quite unparalleled
- There is only one USB 3.0 port
- It is not quite as fast as the fastest AC1900 routers in the market.
Best Home Routers Under $50
THE TP-LINK ARCHER C1200
The Archer C1200 is one of the routers in the market intended for beginner level use with a surprisingly easy setup system with all the features of a relatively advanced router. The router comes with beamforming technology and three antennas that allow a very efficient coverage of the network area. Both dual bands perform to their fullest capacity even if you are moving from place to place- the antennas ensure that the connection is spread efficiently.
In terms of hardware, the router supports 4-gigabit ethernet ports and 1 USB port. The processor of the router ensures that all the devices connected to the router experience a reliable signal- whether it be for downloading files, watching movies or sharing media.
Apart from the features mentioned above, the router does come with a set of various advanced features. This includes parental controls that allow you to monitor your child’s use of the internet by denying access to some websites. It also comes with a QoS which ensures that the router prioritizes the network according to the tasks for which it is being used. It also allows up to two guest networks per band.
- The router supports and high-speed connection
- It has a good range and comes in a compact size
- The router is relatively easy to set up for beginners
- It also boasts of updated efficient firmware
- The router has only one USB port
- The storage capability is limited
- It allows only two guest networks
Best Gaming Routers
1. THE TP-LINK AC5400 WIRELESS ROUTER
This router is specially designed for gaming enthusiasts and comes with many features catering to that particular audience. It is a little bit violently designed with eight red and black external antennas which are removable but not adjustable. In terms of hardware, the router comes with eight gigabit LAN ports, a WAN port, power button, power jack as well as a reset button.
For advanced settings, the router offers the user the feature of parental controls using the child, pre-teen, teen and adult presets to filter out content regarding gambling, pay to surf or social media. You can also apply these filters to specific connected devices. The router also comes with the QoS feature, which allows network priority to specific applications like gaming, surfing, streaming, chatting, etc.
Apart from these, the router boasts of a very reliable and speedy wireless connection- having the ability to connect 20 devices and still managing to maintain a speed of 300mbps, because of the MU MIMO technology and the tri-band feature. Overall, it is a high-end router with very stable firmware and low maintenance, silent performer.
- The router has excellent WIFI coverage
- It can support many devices at once without compromising on the speed
- There is an antivirus feature included
- There is a strongly felt lack of firmware updates
2. THE ASUS RT-AC5300 TRIBAND GAMING ROUTER
This router is designed for large households- perfect for online gaming and streaming. The router comes in a relatively large size and does require a lot of desktop space. Its design falls under the matte black enclosure spectrum, with additional red highlights and eight removable as well as adjustable antennas. The front of the router is dotted with small LED lights that indicate power as well as band connectivity.
The router supports a USB 2.0 port as well as buttons to switch on and off the LED lights as well as four gigabit LAN ports, a WAN port, a US 3.0 ports along with a power button. The router supports beamforming technology and MU MIMO technology that calls for simultaneous rather than sequential streaming. It also has a variety of advanced settings that include access to guest networks, Aiprotection, an adaptive QoS as well as AiCloud 2.0 which allows for a USB attached storage device access from anywhere via the internet. A feature specifically for gamers is the Game Boost feature, which offers a one clicks QoS setting that gives gaming applications network traffic priority.
The router is very easy to set up since it comes with a Setup Wizard. Overall, the router is a bit more on the expensive side and is very bulky when it comes to the average router size- but gives the user value for their money.
- The router has a very reliable speed performance
- It ensures network traffic optimization
- The antennas are removable
- The design of the device is somewhat bulky
- The file transfer speeds are mediocre
- There are routers in the market with the same performance but lower costs
3. ASUS DUAL BAND GIGABIT WIFI ROUTER
This is one of the company’s best routers too date with a wide variety of features that have never before been seen in home routers. It is one of the only models to support eight LAN ports along with support for dual WAN ports. It has an easy to use web interface along with a variety of network monitoring features and a built-in VPN service. In terms of performance, the router delivers with a long-range and very stable, wireless signal- a top-notch device with little room for compromise. The device also supports MU MIMO technology which handles the WIFI bandwidth with efficiency and prioritizes the network.
The router comes with four detachable antennas and two USB ports- a 2.0 in the back and a 3.0 in the front, which can get a bit inconvenient. The router also includes Aiprotection, which is designed to protect the entire network against viruses and malware. It also has an adaptive QoS as well as a feature for six, additional guest networks and a built-in PPTP VPN service that can host up to 10 remote clients.
Overall, the router is one of the best from the company- to date. It gives an excellent performance and a ton of features.
- The router supports eight LAN ports
- The WIFI is quite high speed
- The web interface is smartly designed and very easy to use
- The router comes with a lot of additional features
- The USB 3.0 ports can cause a lot of inconvenience because of how its placed
- The NAS performance is merely average
- The router is a bit more on the expensive side
4. THE NET GEAR NIGHTHAWK PRO GAMING WIFI ROUTER
This router is perfect for gamers who have a certain set of wants from their router. On the outside, the router has a wide, flat design that is similar to a few of its older models. However, this one comes with a few sharp angles around it. The router sports an array of bright LED lights that can be switched off with a switch in the back. It has four detachable dual-band antennas.
Apart from that, the router comes with two USB 3.0 ports with four LAN ports. One WAN port, a DC port for power, a reset button in addition to the switch mentioned above to turn off the LED lights. The router is quite easy to set up via a web browser, but there is no app to manage and control the settings, which can be a bit of a disadvantage. The browser menu is perfect for hardcore gamers looking to customize their settings.
The router also supports a lot of advanced settings like QoS, bandwidth allocation as well as an entire section directed to traffic prioritization. It does come with MU MIMO technology that ensures the user experiences fast simultaneous connections and beamforming for stronger signal strength on each of the connected devices. The router also comes with smart connect, which automatically comes with the ability to choose the best WIFI band for your device to connect with.
Now there is no anti-malware software that comes with the router, but it does have the feature of content filtering, virtual private network support as well as parental controls. You can block websites by keyword, domain, device or service.
- There are a variety of advanced settings to make gaming a smooth experience
- The menu has an array of pop up screens that explain what each setting does
- You can reduce lag and ensure local connections while playing console games
- The router has a futuristic look
- The geo-filtering works for very few PC games
- There is no usable app for the NET GEAR router
- The 5 GHz band is a little slower than seen in previous models
Best Gaming Router For PS4 & PS4 Pro
1. ASUS Gaming Router Tri-band WiFi ( GT-AC5300)
The GT-AC5300 is one of the best tri-band routers in the market. Its stunning external design features eight external antennas.
The two 5GHz and 2.4 GHz frequency bands give a combined speed of 5334 Mbps. It has a powerful quad-core processor with a clock speed of 1.8 GHz.
One of its unique attributes is that it has a feature known as VPN Fusion that enables to run an internet connection and a VPN simultaneously. It has 8 gigabit LAN ports and 2 USB 3.0 ports which only indicate that file or data transfer occurs at incredibly high speeds.
Talking about security, it has a Trend Micro powered Game Intrusion Prevention System that provides concrete security measures and encryption against malware and hackers.
Also, you can connect this router with other routers owing to its AirMesh. Also, the range is appreciably good with its RangeBoost technology.
- The 8 gigabit LAN ports and 2 USB ports ensure the availability of one of the fastest connectivity options.
- Advanced technologies available help you have one of the best security options for your router’s connections.
- It is a tad bit expensive when compared to its rivals.
- It is not easy to be set up or configured.
2. Linksys AC3200 Dual-Band
The Linksys AC3200 Dual-Band WiFi Gaming Router is, without a doubt, one of the best in the market. The “Killer Prioritisation Engine” in its name indicates that it has special provisions to focus all its power on gaming.
Performance results indicate that the ping is reduced by almost five times owing to this feature. Coming with four external antennas, it has one of the best performances in terms of network coverage or range.
Being a dual-band router, it can give a combined speed of 3200 Mbps, at the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz frequency bands. It has a 512 MB RAM and a dual-core processor with a clock speed of 1.8 GHz.
It impresses a lot in terms of the newest technologies available, the most attractive one being, Tri-Stream 160, which triples the number of channels at 80 MHz. It has 4 gigabit Ethernet ports and two USB ports (2.0 and 3.0).
- Comes with the latest advanced technologies in the form of Tri-Stream, Killer Prioritisation Engine, MU-MIMO.
- It is a router that is gaming specialised and can surely let you have the best gaming experience if not anything else.
- The network connection, as reviewed by a lot of users, is unstable, which is a major setback.
3. D-Link DIR-879 AC1900 EXO Wi-Fi Router
The D-Link DIR-879 AC1900 EXO router is one of the most economical gaming routers available for Ps4. The router has a sleek design featuring four removable antennas. The router comes with a dual-core processor with a clock frequency of 1GHz.
The dual-band router gives combined speeds of 1900 Mbps. It has 4 gigabit Ethernet ports and 1 Internet port. However, it has got no USB ports. The setting up of this router is one of the easiest in this category of routers.
Beamforming is one of the advanced features that are available in this router, where the entire bandwidth or in a nutshell, the strength of the connection, is focused on the connected devices only irrespective of where they are located.
Also Quality of Service ensures that you have a hassle-free browsing experience.
- Super economical as compared to its rivals.
- Comes with the latest advanced technologies like beamforming, SU-MIMO, Smart Connect, and QoS.
- Maintenance costs are low, and it is fairly simple and easy to set up or configure the router.
- Range of the router can use some improvement
- Absence of USB ports
Best Gaming Router For Xbox & Xbox One
1. TP-Link Archer AX6000
The TP-Link Archer AX6000 Next-Gen WiFi is a slightly higher priced router that comes with a simple and classy look. It is a dual-band router that provides speeds of up to 5952 Mbps combining the two frequency bands of 5GHz and 2.4 GHz.
It features a quad-core CPU with a clock speed of 1.8 GHz. It has 8 gigabit LAN ports and 2 USB ports ( type A and type C). You can set up the app to control the router that way.
Also, you can control it via Amazon’s Alexa. It has a RAM of 1GB. The security and encryption are fairly good, and provisions for parental control are also available.
- It is simple to configure and comes with a lot of easy access options like its official app and through Alexa.
- The security and safety features against malware and hackers are decent and parental control is also available.
- There is hardly any room for improvement in terms of the features; however, the steep price tag is the major setback, as compared to its rivals.
2. Linksys WRT Gaming WiFi Router
The Linksys WRT Gaming WiFi Router with Killer Prioritisation is one of the absolute best in this category. It is a dual-band router providing amazing speeds as high as 3200 Mbps at the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequency bands.
It is a completely wireless router and hence has got no physical Ethernet ports. It has a dual-core processor with a clock speed of 1.8 GHz. It has a sleek look with four external antennas.
It boasts of a ping reduction as high as 65% in In addition to the standard security provisions it comes with an SPI firewall. It comes with one of the latest technologies like MU-MIMO, Tr-stream 160, and killer prioritisation engine.
- The slender look and simple design complement the robust features available in the latest forms of technology.
- The gaming interface and firmware help control network congestion.
- The price is somewhat high.
3. NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR700
The NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR700 router has a reputation for lowering the ping rates to facilitate a better online gaming experience. It has a quad-core processor working with a speed of 1.7 GHz. This tri-band router has a data transfer rate of an astonishing 7133 Mbps.
The elegant and highly efficient software works a long way in ensuring real smooth online gaming. You can also prioritise your gaming options. Talking about security, the router has strong security and safety features.
- The router is probably the best option for online gamers who want to have the best out of a game.
- There is room for improvement in terms of the range of the router.
Best Gaming Routers Under $100
1. THE D LINK AC 3150 WIRELESS ROUTER
This router is a pyramid-shaped, red ordeal with four removable antennas that are also adjustable. It also sports small LED lights on top of the router that indicate power, connectivity, both radio bands as well as USB connectivity. In the back of the router, you will find four gigabit LAN ports, a WAN port, a USB 3.0 port as well as a reset, power and WPS button.
The router supports all of the latest technology braggings of 802.11ac WIFI, including beamforming, band steering and MU MIMO streaming. It is accessible through a web interface as well as a mobile app. The home page has a network map in addition to information regarding IP address, connection types etc. making it quite easy to use and set up.
This router is the perfect choice for those in the market looking for a mid-range router with a speedy throughput. It is, obviously, a little bit more expensive than some of the other routers in the market but that is to be expected since it does have the latest WIFI technologies with a rather nice selection of ports and unique aesthetic. This router is perfect for two-story homes and is certainly proven to give you value for your money.
- The router has a very sleek and smooth design
- It has MU MIMO technology
- The router has a very strong performance and supports open-source firmware
- The router is a little bit on the expensive side
- The file transfer speed is quite average
2. THE PORTAL MESH WIFI ROUTER
The Portal Mesh Wi-Fi system is different from most WIFI systems because it employs a dynamic frequency selection mechanism called FastLanes. Now there are a few problems with this router that it does not connect to every device available when the FastLanes are on, but once it is shut off, it is compatible with almost all devices.
Now setting up the Portal is similar to what you would expect of the Google WIFI but without the need of creating an account. The system also does not require you to connect to the vendor to work. There is a Portal mobile app for Android and IOS, but it does glitch. The interface tends to freeze while applying changes or switching from one section to another. But it does take only minutes to set up the system once you’ve gotten the hang of it.
The Portal has a good range since as a single unit it can cover about 2,800 square feet of a residential setting with a strong WIFI signal. Still, if you combine two units, you can easily cover around 5000 square feet or an even larger area.
There are a few disadvantages to the router like, for example, the WIFI won’t automatically switch to the Portal until it is close to the unit. Apart from that, the Portal mobile app is necessary to change a lot of the settings and manage FastLanes. But the mobile device has to be reset if you want to use it with another device.
The Portal has quite powerful hardware and comes at a relatively reasonable price when compared to other WIFI systems.
- The Portal has a reliable and fast speed
- It also comes with far-reaching WIFI coverage
- The system comes with both- a web interface and a mobile app and does not require an account to work
- The web interface lacks a few important features, and the app is quite glitchy
- You can only use the app on a single mobile device
- The system also has a terrible signal handoff